Sunday, June 2, 2013

Delicious Lace!

This is a dress I recently finished. My mother-in-law gave me this beautiful brown lace almost a year ago and I finally decided on a pattern! I used the tiered wedding dress pattern Nr. 112 from Burda Style 3/2013 (available for download!), changing the skirt part by making only the top layer instead of going floor length and tripple layer...


The blue fabric is more vibrant in real life than in the picture above. Construction was surprisingly simple! The underlying bodice is made first, I only had minor fit alterations to make, which is very simple now that I finally own a dressform with my measurments...



It is made with boning-tape (not sure what the correct english term is), which is a little less stiff than steal boning and the machine can actually sew over it. It's really cool stuff, I used it for the first time and am thrilled with the result!


Then the lace is put together...


I wasn't so happy with how the neckline looked - my lace didn't have a wide border and it looked a bit flimsy...


...which I fixed by making it look "on-purpose" with some glass beads. This also takes care of the fact that you can't really wear a necklace with this dress :-)


Of course, seeing the front is only half the thrill of this dress...


It's the back that is really oh-la-la!


Which is why it's so important that the corsage underneath fits well - you can't really wear a bra with this dress...


 It really fits like a glove, is comfortable, elegant and special. All in all: A success!




All the best to you out there,
Katja




3 comments:

  1. Lovely! I've been eyeing up this pattern for some time, and your version is really special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you've added beads on the lace. I don't think I would be able to wear this dress as my back is a bit spotty but it looks absolutely fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen that dress all over Burdastyle and your version looks great, I love the blue :)

    ReplyDelete